+44 (0)1509 263171
How we use your data
In all cases we process your data in accordance with the University's data protection policy and under the terms of the University's data protection notification in the register of data controllers. (reg. no. Z6556747).
- We will hold your data securely and treat it confidentially and with sensitivity for your benefit and to support the activities of Loughborough University and the Alumni Association.
- We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully (in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998).
- We will not release your personal data to anyone else without your consent, you give this consent through the privacy controls available on the website.
- The information we hold will be accurate and up to date. You can check and update the information that we hold about you by using the Update Your Details section of this website .
- Reading or Downloading
We collect and store only the following information about you: the name of the domain from which you access the Internet (for example, aol.com, if you are connecting from an America Online account, or lboro.ac.uk if you are connecting from Loughborough University's domain), the date and time you access our site, and the Internet address of the Web site from which you linked to our site.
- We use the information we collect to measure the number of visitors to the different sections of our site, and to help us make our site more useful to visitors.
- Online Profile Updates and Donations
If you complete the Profile update form and share your personally identifying information, this information will be used only to provide you with more targeted content. We may use your contact information to send further information about our organisation or to contact you when necessary. You may always opt-out of receiving future mailings; see the "Opt Out" section below.
- Sending us an Email
You also may decide to send us personally identifying information, for example, in an electronic mail message containing a question or comment, or by filling out a Web form that provides us this information. We use personally identifying information from email primarily to respond to your requests. We may forward your email to other employees who are better able to answer you questions. We may also use your email to contact you in the future about our programs that may be of interest.
- We want to be very clear: We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information to us. Providing such information is strictly voluntary. Except as might be required by law, we do not share any information we receive with any outside parties.
- If you sign up for one of our email lists, we will only send you the kinds of information you have requested. We won't share your name or email address with any outside parties.
- Opt-Out or Change Your Contact Information
Our site provides users the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us through a special online form. You may choose to receive only specific communications or none at all. You may also update your contact information previously provided to us through another online form. You can not remove yourself from our database, but you can prevent unwanted communication.
We may make data available to academic and administrative University departments, recognised alumni societies, sports and other clubs associated with the University, and to agents contracted to the University for particular alumni-related projects. In certain cases (such as overseas alumni groups) this may involve transferring your data outside the European Economic Area. In these instances we will ensure that an adequate level of protection is in place for the processing of your personal data. The University may also provide information to certain external surveying companies working on behalf of such organizations as the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) or University funding bodies.
Data is used for a range of alumni and University activities, including sending publications and promoting services and events to alumni. Data may also be used for University fundraising programmes.
Under the terms of the 1998 Data Protection Act you have the right to object to the use of your data for any of the above purposes.
To opt out of mailings or other communication from us, or to correct your details, please contact us. Please note, however, that when you opt out of receiving the alumni magazine, for example, we retain your information on our database so that we have a record of our communication with you and for statistical purposes.
Confirming your identity
When you contact us to request information or to update your details, we may ask you to confirm your identity by requesting details such as your date of birth, course, year of graduation or address. This is necessary to protect your personal data. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your co-operation.
Our Web site contains links to web sites not under the control of Loughborough University. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those Web sites.